Contested Divorce Lawyer Brooklyn, NY
If your spouse has disagreed with some of your divorce terms, you should speak to a contested divorce lawyer Brooklyn, NY residents trust. This type of divorce can be more complex and you need someone with knowledge and experience on your side. Your lawyer can guide you through the process and answer all your questions.
What Is a Contested Divorce?
A contested divorce is a divorce in which one spouse disagrees with something in the case, such as child support, child custody, property division or alimony. This type of divorce is more complex than an uncontested one and requires a couple to go to court to adjudicate their disagreement.
How Do You Prepare for a Contested Divorce?
Since a contested divorce involves many complexities, it’s important to plan extra carefully for it.
- Know Your Assets and Debts: The first thing you should do is make a list of all your assets and debts, such your mortgage, car note, bank accounts and credit card bills. If your contested divorce lawyer in Brooklyn, NY knows what you have, he or she can protect you throughout the entire divorce process.
- Surround Yourself With Supportive People: A contested divorce can be especially stressful because it can drag on longer. That’s why it’s especially important to have supportive people on your side. When you need someone to talk to, don’t hesitate to call one of your close family members or friends.
- Communicate With Your Spouse: If you and your spouse don’t agree on various issues in your divorce, the idea of speaking to him or her might sound impossible. However, you should still try to be civil with one another and communication often throughout the divorce proceedings. If you can come to agreements on some matters, it will make the process smoother. If you don’t like seeing your spouse in person, try to have conversations over the phone.
- Hire a Lawyer: It is important to work with a lawyer who has specific experience with contested divorces. He or she can improve your chances of a fair settlement and ensure your legal rights are protected. During your initial consultation with your lawyer, remember to bring documents that pertain to your case, such as bank accounts, retirement accounts and tax papers.
- Get Ready for the Hearing: If you have a contested divorce, you’ll have to see a judge for a hearing soon. Going to a divorce hearing can be nerve-wracking, so it’s crucial to prepare accordingly. Your lawyer will inform you of the questions the judge will ask you so that you can practice your answers.
If you are going through a contested divorce, schedule a consultation with a contested divorce lawyer in Brooklyn, NY. Call the Kleyman Law Firm today.